Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Slipped Stitch Dishcloths

Several years ago, my grandmother gave me a bag full of Lily Sugar & Cream yarn. At the time, I wasn't a huge fan of knitted dishcloths - I preferred disposable sponges because, well, I had the luxury of a mechanical dishwasher, and I did not handwash many dishes. And non-disposable dishcloths struck me an excellent breeding grounds for bacteria that I would not want touching my dishes or my hands. Since then several things have happened. First, I have moved and no longer have a dishwasher. Second, med school has desensitized me, and I no longer fear bacteria. Instead, I fear stroke. And third, I am tired of all the waste that disposable sponges/dishcloths create. Enter handknit dishcloths! I found the slipped stitch pattern in Mason Dixon Knitting, and I located the aforementioned bag of cotton yarn from my stash, and voilĂ ! Handknit dishcloths!


Here are two of a variegated and light yellow yarns:


This one, I call 'Eggs Over Easy in Pepto-Bismol'. I suppose neglecting my studies on color theory has been a bad idea.


Specs:
Yarn: Lily Sugar & Cream in various colorways. 2 balls will yield about 2 dishcloths.
Needles: Size 7
Pattern: Very easy to follow and quick to knit. I have made 5 of these so far, and they take a couple hours each,

1 comment:

Lorrel said...

Love those dishcloths. They look as though they are fun to make and don't take that long. How are they to use? I'm using the foam ones I got when we went to Switzerland, the ones Amy was using. Do you remember those? I put them in the washer but I let them air dry.

Surely hope the weather isn't too bad for you back there. Our Sierra mountains are all white now and are so very beautiful. I'm a little concerned about our trip to Reno on Monday but hopefully we won't hit storm.

Sure love you. Hope you have some fun plans for Christmas.

 
website tracking,