Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Whoa, Indigo Ripples Skirt is finished?!

Finished!!



Close-up of lace:

I am cool and rippley.

Specs:
Pattern: Indigo Ripples Skirt by Kat Coyle from Interweave Knits Spring 2007
Yarn: Elann Den-M-Knit denim yarn in color dark denim, 14 balls
Needles: Size 4 circulars. I think the pattern called for 6s or 5s. I'm not sure, but when I swatched (whoa!) I found that the resulting fabric was a little see-through on the larger needles. Not something that I am really interested in in a skirt. I was able to achieve a more densely knitted fabric with the smaller needles, and all was right in my knitting world.
Size: So, this was a little tricky. My waist measurements matched the large size and my hips, the extra-large. I cast on for the large, and increased (in a way that I do not remember because it was over a year ago) up to the number of stitches required for the hips of the extra-large size. It was a bit of a gamble, but it turned out pretty well. I also increased the lengths of both the solid panel and the lace panel for a longer skirt.

I am really happy with how this skirt turned out. And it only took me a couple years to make. The time flew by, really. I had been hitting the knitted denim skirt pretty hard since I finished my rotations, and I finally cast-off the final stitches during our drive out to LA. Let me say, finishing it was a total beast. The ruffle at the bottom of the skirt ate yarn like crazy, and to make it even more ruffle-y, you do this increase thing with the cast-off where you add a stitch for every one stitch you cast off. So, I ended up having to cast off 1200 stitches. It took some time. Overall, the pattern was excellent and very easy to follow.

Unfortunately, we no longer have a washing machine and dryer at our immediate disposal. We do, however, have coin-op laundry in our building, but no matter what temperature setting I choose, the washing machine always washes my clothes in scalding hot water. Not the best laundering conditions for handknits. I was finally able to wash the skirt during a visit to my mom's (sidenote - it's totally awesome being 30 years old, and still taking dirty laundry to mom's. really.) And it shrunk to the dimensions I was aiming. For those of you unfamiliar with cotton denim yarn, the knitted garment should shrink approximately 30% in length.

Also, I opted for some braided elastic in lieu of a drawstring because I am not a huge fan of drawstrings.

4 comments:

Ruby Banshee said...

Girl, that looks AWESOME! I have totally sworn off knitted skirts, for a very specific reason/attempt we shall not discuss, but that has me reconsidering! Way to go.

Anonymous said...

That's really, really pretty. You did a great job. That indigo blue is a lovely color too.

I don't like drawstring either. I think it just makes everything look lumpy, which is never a good idea for the belly area...

Lorrel said...

Your skirt looks so nice Shannon and I would never have thought of knitting bath mats. Is there anything that you don't try knitting? Keep up the good work, I'm very proud of you. How is your work going? Much love,
Grandma

J.Po said...

FABULOUS!

I'm really amazed how nicely knits end up when adjusting pattern sizes. This always seemed so intuitive to me when doing sewing projects, since the patterns roughly show you where you're headed. But I figured it would never really work with knits. You have shown it does! (I also did a sweater once...adding 2 inches in length to everything...but that seems so much more straight-forward than adding width!)

Also, I'm excited to hear how internship is going!

 
website tracking,