Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Warning!

If you want to avoid the baby fever, do not make one of these!


Details
Pattern: Curly Purly Soaker
Size: Newborn
Yarn: Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool, hand-dyed by me
Needles: Size 3s, 5s and 7s
Comments: So cute. Raul and I have some serious baby fever. Must wait one more year.

Here is the photo of the yarn in cake form:


So, I dyed this in my crockpot with some KoolAid and some food coloring. I had a really hard time gettng the dye even - I did lots of stirring and adding of more dye throughout the process. So, it's generally not a good idea to really agitate (i.e. stir) wool while it is hot and wet and being dyed in a crockpot. It tends to like to felt under such conditions. Luckily, the yarn did not felt, but it did get a little sticky. Fine by me - it seems like it will definitely hold together well. I am really happy with how the colors variegated as the yarn knitted up.

Raul did some investigative research on the interweb and found that babies need their soakers changed multiple times during the day. This is a lot of soakers! And only one year and nine months to go! Good thing we're getting started now.

2 comments:

Lorrel said...

So, are you planning to use cloth diapers when you have your baby? I never see them any more but I'm sure they are around somewhere. I have fond memories of folding diapers, that was a nice quiet time for me and I was pretty particular in the way they were folded. Did a lot of washing in those days. :-) Nice soakers Shannon. Much love.

Shannon said...

Hey Grandma! Yes, the plan is to use cloth diapers when the time comes. I imagine that this whole process does involve lots of laundry. I am lazy and am hoping to enlist the help of some sort of diaper service. I think that there would have to be something like that in LA, and I have heard that financially it costs about the same to use a diaper service as it does to wash them all yourself. A friend is using cloth diapers for her baby, and they are super fancy. The have velcro and stuff - no more pins!

 
website tracking,