Sunday, February 17, 2008

Koolhaas Hat

I bought the Holiday 2007 edition of Interweave Knits back in November or December, I think, and I had plans to make this hat (pattern contained in aforementioned IK) since then. Many a blogging knitter has made this hat in worsted weight Malabrigo, and their praise for this yarn abounded. I had to try it. Unfortunately, at the time, no local yarn shops were selling this yarn, but I was able to find some on a trip out to CA in January.

Also, this hat got moved up on the project list after a conversation with my Grandpa. I had plans to make him a hat for his birthday (last week), but he recently informed me that winter had practically ended in California. Go ahead, rub it in. Winter is certainly not over here (see photo evidence below), so I put his project on hold and made myself this hat instead.

Here is a photo of the hat on my desk:


Here is a picture of me wearing the hat whilst preparing to walk the dog in a slush filled winter wonderland (don't I look happy?):


Pattern: Koolhaas hat by Jared Flood from Holiday 2007 IK
Yarn: Malabrigo worsted weight in color black forest
Needles: Size 6 Denise interchangeable circulars for the ribbing and size 7s for the body of the hat.
Comments: This was such a fun and clever pattern! I really enjoyed knitting it, and the yarn is absolutely luscious. I highly recommend both. I did an extra pattern repeat to make the hat long enough to cover my ears (a necessity in this cold climate!)

A comment on my rotations: I just finished 2 weeks of orthopedic surgery. I saw two knee replacements and one total hip. I have added a total joint replacement to my list of things that I never want to experience (stroke is still at the top.) Though I never want to have one done to me, these surgeries were very impressive to see and involved many power tools and much hammering and sawing of bone. And grunting. And wearing space suits. And med students (me!) holding legs. People, legs are heavy. Fortunately, as a psychiatrist, I really don't think I will have to hold many (any) legs. On Monday, I start 2 week of ophthamology. 10 weeks to go until I am totally done with my rotations (but who's counting?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to rub it in but it's pretty nice here too! But since I only brought my wool-lined boots with me, this may pose a problem. :)

Your story about the surgery kind of grossed me out. I look forward to hearing about psychiatry, it sounds less...gory.

10 weeks?! YAY!

J.Po said...

I have a subscription to Interweave Knits, but I don't think I got that issue. Damn - cause that hat is really cute! I have some nice alpaca I'm looking to knit up for Jiggity, but I think I'll go with a simple rib instead. Oh well.

BTW - just started a shawl I've been wanting to do since seeing yours. I'm using an alpaca/silk mix and it's just so lovely to work with. I'll update you on my progress!

Lorrel said...

Love the hat on you ShanShan. Makes you look warmer. I'm happy that you enjoy trying new patterns. You always do a good job.

Much love.

Anonymous said...

Got goosebumps reading about orthopedic surgeries. Glad you're done with your rotation. Only 10 weeks to go? yeah!!!!
Love you....myriam

 
website tracking,