Sunday, April 20, 2008

Perhaps the Most Perfect Ankle Socks Ever

I heart ankle socks. I heart my friend, Hilary. Hilary hearts ankle socks.

She had a birthday recently, so what did I gift her? Yes, ankle socks.

I have knitted myself couple pairs of ankle socks. And though I enjoy them, they have their flaws. With this pair, I attempted to include what I liked and correct what I did not. Here is the end result:


Close-up of heel:


Details:
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill superwash sock yarn in color Life's a Beach
Needles: Size 1 double=pointed needles
Sock construction: First off, I have used this yarn for socks previously. I opted to knit it up on size 1's this time to create a more snugly fitting sock. I love the result - a denser fabric, a snugger (is this a word?) sock, and the yarn actually started to almost stripe. So, I cast on 64 stitches and did a 1x1 rib for four rows. I used the heel as detailed here. I then stockinetted the body of the sock, did a generic decrease for the toe and finished it off with a kitchener graft.
Comments: Very happy with end result. As mentioned previously, I like how this yarn knits up on smaller needles. I really like this heel, and I think it wears very well (Hilary, you'll have to let me know how it goes with this pair.) I just might have to make some for myself!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sock epiphany! S, you have changed my outlook on clothing the feet from now forward--these socks do fit perfectly, with just the right amount of snugness; there are NO SEAMS! perceptible to the tootsies, and the texture....sublime. My feet are so happy. This almost makes up for you moving to LA (sorry, west coasters--I know you all must be so excited to have her back!)

Anonymous said...

p.s. thanks for cropping out that leg hair.

Shannon said...

Anonymous - Glad you like the socks and no prob about the leg hair. That's what friends are for.

 
website tracking,