Saturday, April 12, 2008

Baby Genius Burp Cloth and Baby Bib O'Love

I found a new outlet for my abundance of cotton worsted weight yarn - burp cloths and bibs!

Exhibit A

Details:
Pattern: Baby Genius Burp Cloth from Mason Dixon Knitting
Yarn: Worsted weight cotton from my stash (thanks Grandma!)
Needles: Size 7 circs
Comments: Way cute and way quick. This is excellent meeting knitting - the pattern is very simple, so you can knit without thinking. I wonder if I am developing ADD (likely not given my age and my ability to sit and study for hours on end), but I actually find it much easier to concentrate on lectures/meeting talk if my hands are busy doing mindless knitting. I finished the cream/brown number last week while on Radiology. You know, I really liked Radiology. Had I had the rotation earlier in my med school career, I just might have become a radiologist instead of a psychiatrist. Hmm. There is quite a bit of flexibility in medicine, so I suppose if the psych route does not make me happy, I could always switch to rads. Though right now, the idea of doing just one residency and being done with it is very appealing. Psych and radiology really seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of patient contact at least. With psych, personal interactions with patients are paramount whereas with rads, you spend most of your time in a dark room reading films of patients that you will never meet. The radiologists really know their medicine, though, and they rarely have to deal with the tragedy that comes with patient care.

Exhibit B

Pattern: Baby Bib O'Love from Mason Dixon Knitting
Yarn: Again, worsted weight cotton
Needles: Size 7s
Comments: I modified the stitch pattern (the pattern calls for straight stockinette) - I actually used with stitch pattern given for the Baby Genius burp cloth because it was more visually interesting. It needs a button - there is a thrift shop down the street that has a very impressive collection of buttons. I may wander down there today to see if there is an orange button asking to be partnered with this bib.

Yes, I am in handmade baby stuff mode these days. The day is actually coming when Raul and I can seriously start talking about child-having. And I should be prepared right? Nine months is not nearly enough time to get stocked up on all possible handmade necessities. I figure that if I start a couple years in advance then I should be at least moderately prepared when the time comes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting...i was just reviewing the films you posted, and the picture of the bib seems to have an opacification in the right lower lobe. Given the history, this seems consistent with a pneumonia. Recommend starting on IV levaquin. Please correlate clinically. Cannot rule out flash malfunction.

Lorrel said...

Those burp cloths and bib are wonderful and you will need many when that babe arrives somewhere in the future. Was great talking on the phone with you today. I personally feel you are heading in the right field as far as your future job is concerned. I believe you to be a people person with a desire to help others.
Much love.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, the thought of you having babies makes me sooooooooo happy. :)

 
website tracking,