Saturday, May 26, 2007

Happy Birthday Big Dave

49 years ago today, my dad was born. What a milestone - happy birthday Dad! Being the knitting savant that I am (what I am really saying is that I am quite poor), I am knitting his gift. And given my schedule, I am, of course, not finished with it yet. Let me tell you, the size of his feet rival the number of his years. Here is a photo of his birthday present (these clogs are a favorite pattern o' mine, as you can probably tell):

Aerial view with women's size 11 (big feet run in the family, okay) Dansko clog for scale:


Side view, again with Dansko for scale:


I always think this pattern is hilarious. You knit up these giant clown-shoe-sized slippers then you throw them in the washer, and after a couple of hot water wash cycles, presto! You have a pair of super cute slipper clogs! You totally have to wear these slippers, Dad - I even knitted them in Angel colors for you. Although, I hadn't anticipated that they would require so much yarn, so slipper number #2 might have a slightly different color scheme. Uncle Rob is going to be so jealous of your super cool clogs. Don't worry though - I won't start knitting speedos anytime soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so very much for the wonderful gift. I am sure that I am going to enjoy them immensely. I also would like to inform you that I am only 49 this year not 50, I will be there soon enough.
I hope you and Raul are having a great weekend. I love you.
Dad

Shannon said...

Oops! I think Mom turns 50 this year, and I was confused. Love you Dad!

Anonymous said...

I love my slippers and it must be amazing when they are first knitted before the wash cycle in hot water. You are certainly a pro at knitting them now. This blog made me lol. Hey David, Happy Belated Birthday. Did you receive my thank-you card? I enjoyed the flowers and you are so thoughtful.

 
website tracking,